This is a term and comes from Latin -Veheculum or vehere which means ‘to carry, transmission,conveyance ‘
Vehicles are those substances which are almost chemically neutral (neither acidic nor alkaline) ,therapeutically inert , having no medicinal properties of there own(if any there is negligible) it must be harmless regarding its action on human organisms, The pharmacological message of the original drug is not disturbed in any way, It should be capable of carrying the dynamic powers of drugs into interior human organisms to fight the disease force .
In a fine, it is a substance which chemically neutral, therapeutically inert,having no medicinal properties which is capable of carrying foot print of homoeopathic drug is called vehicle in homoeopathy.
AN IDEAL VEHICLE
I. It must not have any medicinal property of its own.
2. It should be chemically neutral; neither acidic nor alkaline in medicinal effects.
3.They must not undergo change or decomposition,
4 which are used in potentizing medicines.
5. It must be harmless regarding its action on human organisms.
6.The pharmacological message of the original drug is not disturbed in any way.
7. It should be capable of carrying the dynamic powers of drugs into interior human organisms to fight the disease force.
6. It should be edible and palatable.
Uses of Vehicles :
1. Vehicles are used in the preparation of mother tinctures, mother solutions and mother powders from crude drug materials
2. It is used for further triturations and increased potentisation from the mother
3 Used as bases for preparing external applications of medicines.
4. For dispensing medicines or remedies according to the prescriptions of physicians.
5. Vehicles like olive oil, vaseline, glycerine, etc. are themselves applied externally as a mechanical aid only.
6. As a preservant or certain medicines, vehicle like alcohol is mixed in certain percentage with the freshly expressed juices of plants (vide Organon of Medicine, aphorism 268, footnote).
7. Used as ‘placebo’ or ‘phytum’ Rubrum, Sac Lac, , especially in cases of chronic diseases and where long-acting remedies are used. Dr. Kent holds, “Second best medicine in our Materia Medica is placebo”, which is given to the patient to please.
8. Used as diet for children . E.g: Sick babies who could not tolerate fats, sugar of milk is given as a diet.
Forms of Vehicles
@ Solid Vehicles:
1. Milk sugar or Sugar of milk( saccharum Lactis, Lactose).
2.Can Sugar (Sucrose)
3. Grape Sugar(Glucose, Dextrose)
6.Tablets or tabloids
7.Pellets or pilules
1. Aqua Distillata (Distilled Water)
2. Alcohol –
v. Rectified Spirit
4. Simple syrup
iii. sesame Oil
iv. Hydnocarpus oil
v. Chaulmoogra Oil
5. Volatile Oil
There are six kinds of semi -solid vehicles below–
a.Yellow soft Paraffin
b.White soft paraffin
a. Bee Waxes
b. Yellow Bee Waxes
c.White Bee Waxes
a.Vegetable origin soft soap
b.Vegetable origin hard soap
c.Animal origin crud soap